
I just watched Swimming With Sharks due to a quote I caught in a Lagwagon song yesterday. The quote was, "If you're not a rebel by 20, you've got no heart. If you don't conform by 30, you've got no brain." I had no idea what the movie was about but it was a good one. Kevin Spacey was great and the guy from Career Opportunities was pretty good as well. The lady playing the lady role was sexy too. There are actually a lot of cool lines in the movie... all by Kevin Spacey. In theme with the movie, it feels that lately that I've been reminded that money is not synonomous with happiness.
This mentality was easier for me to accept when I was younger. But know that I've come to realize it's necessity and also been pummeled by marketing, advertising and sneaky product placement along with the influences of relatives, acquaintances and whatever, it's important to remember what all really counts in the end. I often think about this clip I saw of Saul Williams talking about the current state of hip-hop and how all the rappers preach for capitalism and that there is little talk about a cause since rappers like KRS and Chuck D were bigger, I wonder how much the shit I've seen and listened to in the past 25 years has affected my life outlook. Last week at the show I went to I spoke to an old acquaintance who was speaking his mind about how hardcore has changed in the past decade and how artists have been speaking against what exists more so that what has to turn around and how we have to find solutions for our problems. This made me take a look back at my mentality when I was younger... anyways....
No comments:
Post a Comment